Fall has begun! Fall is my favorite season, from the way autumn trees look to the food! Being on a health-conscious diet shouldn’t stop you from making and eating delicious food, and dessert is no exception. Dessert certainly isn’t a required part of meals, but it’s nice to have something sweet in moderate amounts from time to time to make life a bit less bland.
Here is a very simple and quick recipe I whipped up that’s healthy and sweet. It’s Paleo/Bulletproof™/Weston A. Price-approved. That means, it’s organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, sugar-free, low carb, and high fat. We have high standards. Even with this impressive list of guilt-free labels, we still would eat something like this only occasionally just because we don’t want to get used to the thought of having something sweet all the time. Though honestly, you could go to town on our dessert recipes without fear of getting fat! Don’t you just love the irony of that? No counting calories, nothing in moderation, as long as everything you have on your plate is good*. That’s the best way to live.
*Assuming you’re keeping the carbs low and not going too crazy on protein—keep it moderate.
- 1 cup organic almond butter (or flour) – we like ours as freshly made butter
- 1 cup organic pureed pumpkin – we prefer the boxed Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin Puree instead of the canned version to avoid BPAs & BPA-like compounds
- 1/4 cup organic raw honey or 4+ pinches of Stevia (depending on how sweet you want it) – Now Foods Organic Stevia
- 4 organic free-range eggs – we like using soy-free (wheat-free if possible too)
- 4 tsps arrowroot (or rice/sweet rice) flour – Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Starch Flour
- 2 tbsp grass-fed unsalted butter/organic coconut oil – Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil (we buy our favorite grass-fed German butter made by Fond O’ Foods from the same website). You can also add more fat as topping once all baked.
- 1+ tsp no-alcohol vanilla powder (depending on how vanilla-y you want it) – we like Bulletproof Vanilla Powder
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan/Real Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour in oven pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, checking to see if bread is firm enough all the way through but still somewhat moist
- Cut into brownie bite sizes or slice like bread
- Serve warm or chilled and enjoy!
- This might come out somewhat dry but it will moisten up in the fridge.
- This is great served with some whipped butter on top.
- This is great to dip in coffee too!
- This same batter can also be made into muffins or pancakes
- Pin the image above/below to keep in your Paleo recipe board!