Ever wonder why certain liquids such as essential oils, some beauty oils and perfumes, or even your olive oil are usually stored in a dark glass container as opposed to plastic or a clear container? It’s because unlike other liquids, these types of oils are very volatile and can easily be damaged by the sun.
Olive oil can become rancid (oxidizes) and therefore becomes unfit for consumption when not stored properly. Essential oils tend to lose a lot of their therapeutic value and their wonderful scent when oxidized. That Chanel No. 5 may not be fake after all—it could just have gone bad because you left it out in your car exposed to the sun too long!
So how do you store liquids containing these precious oils?
- Make sure they are in dark glass bottles (amber, dark cobalt, dark green, violet). Clear containers let in a lot of the sun’s UV rays and therefore damages the oil. Plastic and rubber (cap) on the other hand deteriorate and even melt through time because of the oil’s acidity. You don’t want BPA in your oils!
- Make sure that the lid is tightly sealed and airtight when not in use. Some oils and oil mixtures evaporate easily more than others.
- Store in a cool, dark place like your dresser or cabinet
- Keep away from heat and flammable sources like your stove, lamp, the window
- During really hot summer days, store in fridge. Shake bottle before using.
- For general safety, keep away from children and animals’ reach’
- Label each bottle, so you or somebody else doesn’t mistake costly organic essential oils for cheap cleaning solution! I like to use strips of paper with tape over it. It’s not a good idea to write directly on stickers or on the bottles themselves, because the ink gets messed up when it gets wet.
Now on to the fun part!
Essential Glass Bottles (EGB) is kindly giving away a whole set of these gorgeous oil bottles for your essential oils, perfumes, and other liquid storage needs! They come in different colors, sizes, designs, and applications (spray, roll on, etc.). These are PERFECT for a fun DIY project, to store your own essential oils, or as a gift.
OPTIONAL: Like and repin images from Essential Glass Bottles (EGB), Comment on this post on what you would use these bottles for, etc.
This contest will end on October 11, 2015 12am EST and is open to US residents only. The winner is picked based on random drawing. The more entries you put in, the more chances of winning! You can write a comment below for your questions!